Thursday, February 22, 2007

there was a discussion I read awhile back on a freelancing blog - they were talking about writing samples, and whether or not you should send a sample in for a job inquiry. At the time, I said that I would, but only if it was a sample unlike anything I'd ever done before, and something they absolutely needed in order to see if I was a good fit. But, I decided that I'm done now. In the past month, I have written an article about a TV show for a job interview, a blog for a blogging site, a rewrite on homes in a certain state, and a rewrite of one page of web content. Each of these contacts were very nice to me and told me that If I just completed the rewrite or the article or the blog, I'd have the job and all would be good. However, each of them took the work I had done, and never got back to me. This is four pieces of work that I did in order to get jobs, and all four times it was obviously a scam because I never even heard back to tell me I don't have the job. How long do these people think they can get away with stuff like this? I am no longer writing samples for job interviews. I have a website where I direct potential employers that has samples of my writing on it - and from now on, I have learned my lesson. That's it. No more free work from me.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You're right not to write samples, absolutely. It's different than writing on spec, where (one hopes) you have a contract and even if there's no kill fee, you're writing with the expectation that you and the editor are both working towards publishing the piece.